SEATTLE, June 23, 2014 – Just in time for the warm weather, Starbucks (NASDAQ: SBUX) tomorrow will unveil a selection of new refreshing beverages, expanding its cold beverage portfolio with the addition of Fizzio™ Handcrafted Sodas and Teavana® Shaken Iced Teas. Fizzio™ Handcrafted Sodas are carbonated fresh and debut in three classic flavors with a Starbucks twist – Spiced Root Beer, Golden Ginger Ale and Lemon Ale. Each Fizzio soda contains no artificial flavors, no preservatives or high fructose corn syrup and has 100 calories or less in a Grande (16 fl. oz.). The new Fizzio sodas will be available at select Starbucks locations in the U.S. **
Customers can also experience a fresh take on iced tea from Teavana at Starbucks with new and returning favorites this summer. The new Teavana® Blackberry Mojito Tea Lemonade and returning favorite Teavana® Peach Green Tea Lemonade will be available nationwide and in Canada beginning June 24.
“We have heard from our customers that they’re looking for more refreshing, cold beverages, especially during the warm summer months,” said Cliff Burrows, group president, U.S., Americas and Teavana. “Fizzio Handcrafted Soda is unlike any soda in the marketplace because it’s handcrafted and made-to-order each time. The addition of Fizzio and Teavana Iced Teas gives our customers more refreshing beverage choices made with the premium ingredients they expect from Starbucks.”
Classic Flavors with a Twist
Fizzio™ Handcrafted Sodas are rooted in classic flavors, but with a signature twist to deliver an experience unlike other sodas. The soda creation begins with batch brewing real, premium ingredients to develop complex and layered flavors, and each Fizzio beverage is individually handcrafted for each customer.
- Spiced Root Beer: The nostalgic taste of classic root beer with a deliciously unexpected twist – cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and star anise add a flavorful kick to this soda.
- Golden Ginger Ale: A refreshing blend of real ginger, citrus and brown sugar, the Golden Ginger Ale has a unique golden color and a complex, delicious taste that harkens back to the original Ginger Ale introduced at the turn of the 20th century.
- Lemon Ale: A refreshing, citrus-forward blend of real lemon juice with hints of apricot and ginger.
The Fizzio™ machine is a breakthrough in carbonation technology with the ability to deliver an unmatched soda experience. Unlike existing sodas or at-home carbonation options, the machine carbonates finished beverages, ensuring every ingredient in the beverage receives the same level of carbonation and maximum flavor. The machine also delivers a customizable experience with the capability to adjust the amount of “fizz” in each beverage, and provides the option for customers to experience their favorite beverages like Teavana® Shaken Iced Tea and Starbucks Refreshers™ beverages in a completely new way by “adding fizz” for $.50 USD.
New and Returning Summer Favorites
Starbucks and Teavana continue to bring premium tea experiences to customers with the introduction of new Teavana® Shaken Iced Teas. Teavana® Shaken Iced Teas feature fine teas that are slightly sweetened and come in one-of-a-kind delicious flavors. The iced teas are vigorously hand shaken ten times to help ensure all the ingredients are cooled down quickly and mixed perfectly to bring out their distinct flavors.
- New Teavana® Shaken Iced Blackberry Mojito Tea Lemonade: Thirst-quenching flavors of juicy blackberry, mint, Teavana® green tea and a splash of lemonade shaken with ice.
- Teavana® Shaken Iced Peach Green Tea Lemonade: Refreshing sweet peach and ginger notes, Teavana® green tea and a splash of lemonade shaken with ice.
- Teavana® Shaken Iced Black Tea Lemonade: Bold layers of three of the finest Teavana® black teas mixed with lemonade and shaken with ice.
“Refreshing beverages made with premium ingredients deserve to be paired with exceptional food, which is why we’re offering an array of wholesome options for our customers,” said Burrows. “We have significantly advanced our breakfast and lunch offerings over the past few years. And, we are expanding this even further with new, relevant lunch options for our customers.”
Customers can pair their favorite Starbucks cold summer beverage with a variety of lunch offerings, including:
- New Turkey Pesto Panini: Turkey and melted provolone cheese with fire-roasted peppers and basil pesto on focaccia.
- New Old-Fashioned Grilled Cheese: A beloved classic sandwich, thoughtfully prepared with a three cheese blend of aged white cheddar, yellow cheddar and mozzarella cheese on hearty multigrain bread.
- Hearty Salad Bowls: Chicken & Greens Caesar, Hearty Veggie & Brown Rice and Zesty Chicken & Black Bean.
- Panini Sandwiches: Roasted Tomato & Mozzarella, Chicken Santa Fe and Ham & Swiss.
- Cold Sandwiches: Chicken BLT Salad, Egg Salad and Turkey & Havarti.
- Bistro Boxes: Protein, Cheese & Fruit and Chicken & Hummus.
*Euromonitor data 2013. Carbonated beverage market = combination of Euromonitor’s carbonated bottled water, energy drinks, and carbonates categories. Carbonates: Carbonated Soft Drinks (CSDs).
**Fizzio™ Handcrafted Soda availability: Hawaii, Southern California (Los Angeles, San Diego, Stockton and Modesto areas), Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Nevada and Utah. Customers can find out if Fizzio is available at their store by checking the Starbucks Mobile App for iPhone® or Android™ or by visiting the Starbucks Store Locator at http://www.starbucks.com/store-locator/search.
Since 1971, Starbucks Coffee Company has been committed to ethically sourcing and roasting high-quality arabica coffee. Today, with more than 25,000 stores around the globe, Starbucks is the premier roaster and retailer of specialty coffee in the world. Through our unwavering commitment to excellence and our guiding principles, we bring the unique Starbucks Experience to life for every customer through every cup. To share in the experience, please visit our stores or online at news.starbucks.com and Starbucks.com.
For more information on this story, contact us