Starbucks coffee experts travel the globe to find the world’s best coffee, tasting 250,000 cups per year to create a diverse portfolio of more than 20 blends and single-origin coffees. Starbucks ethically sources coffee from 28 countries around the world – Latin America, Africa and Asia/Pacific – using the world’s finest arabica beans.
This year, Starbucks kicks off the spring season with an eight-week coffee journey featuring a variety of bold brews. Starting in March, customers can experience the entire bold adventure with the Coffee Journey Card. Customers who collect a coffee stamp each week will receive a free pound of bold coffee of their choice.
Every day, Starbucks customers can choose between the Bold Pick of the Week, Pike Place Roast™ or a decaffeinated Tall (12 oz) brewed coffee for just $1.50. This is a limited time offer in New York, Colorado, Alaska, and Hawaii and may be up to a $.20 savings in these markets.
Starbucks Bold Pick of the Week: Starts March 9
Week One: Yukon Blend® (March 9)
• Originally developed in 1971 for a captain of a fishing fleet, this hearty, rugged blend of Latin American and Indonesian coffees made a comeback in 2009.
Week Two: Italian Roast (March 15)
• Somewhere beyond the caramel notes of our Espresso Roast but short of the smokiness of our French roast – that’s the spot held by Italian Roast. A sweet, bold cup of coffee.
Week Three: (STARBUCKS)RED (March 22)
• This incredible blend of East African coffees delicately balances a gentle acidity with complex citrus, herbal and brown spice notes.
Week Four: Komodo Dragon Blend® (March 29)
• Indonesia is the home of the world's largest lizard – the Komodo dragon – and this blend of Asia Pacific coffees bears its name. Spicy, herbal and earthy with a full body, each sip evokes the lushness of Indonesia.
Week Five: Caffé Verona® (April 5)
• Our most popular coffee, Caffè Verona® is a versatile, complex blend combining great Latin American and Asia Pacific coffees with a touch of Italian Roast.
Week Six: Café Estima Blend® (April 12)
• Velvety smooth and balanced with a roasty-sweet flavor, Café Estima Blend® is 100 percent Fair Trade Certified™.
Week Seven: Gold Coast Blend® (April 19)
• This full-bodied blend showcases our finest Latin American and Asia Pacific coffees, accented with a touch of Italian Roast's sweetness.
Week Eight: Sumatra (April 26)
• Sumatra has a full body with virtually no acidity - so the coffee's intensity lingers in your mouth. The concentrated spicy, herbal notes and earthy aroma are the telltale signatures of this well-loved coffee.
Pike Place Roast™: Every day
• A medium roast launched in 2008, a daily salute to Starbucks tradition of quality and expertise.
What Makes a Coffee Bold? At Starbucks we will call a coffee bold based on its flavor intensity. Bold can come from a combination of roast, flavor intensity or the complexity due to where is it grown. Some examples are the grapefruit notes in Kenya or the full body of the earthy and spicy Komodo Dragon Blend®.
Take the Coffee Journey:
Customers can explore our bold coffees and find a favorite over the next eight weeks with the Coffee Journey Card. Customers who collect all eight coffee stickers will pick up a free pound of bold coffee. Each of the Starbucks bold brews featured during the promotion are also available for purchase in store year-round. A full list of whole-bean coffees can be found online at www.starbucks.com
For More Information: If you have questions or need more information, you may visit starbucks.com. For news media, please contact us at (206) 318-7100 or firstname.lastname@example.org. © 2010 Starbucks Coffee Company. All rights reserved. *Pike Place is a trademark of the Pike Place Market PDA, used under license.